Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Purely Adult Slushie!



Reading some of my favorite blogs this morning, catching up, and smitten kitchen had this post titled raspberry limeade slushies.  Her entry talks about the famous drinks from 7-11 and her associated memories.  Which of course, just sparked them for me as well, especially brain freeze and the reason I gave up the indulgence long ago.  Then I remembered the frozen drink craze and how I tried to like them, but never really got into that one! Too cold, too sweet, too easy to over indulge!

But, as a lover of all things lime and key lime, I've always enjoyed the combination of raspberry and lime so this recipe sounded perfect to me.  As we were shopping for ingredients needed for some recipe testing I'll be doing tomorrow, I grabbed the limes and raspberries with the intention of making this the first recipe test! 

Once we returned home I pulled the ingredients together remembering that, no, we don't have any soda water, but that's OK, I'll make it without. Then I remembered at the end of Deb's post she commented how good this might would be with some alcohol!  So I came up with Chambord, added a splash and it's officially a very refreshing adult beverage! YUM!  We enjoyed ours with straws in tall glasses (next time I'll definitely use freezer frosted glasses).  Good thing it's a comfortable 76º here in Queens!  If it was hot and steamy one might want to have more than one, and that could be very dangerous!  Here's the recipe:

Raspberry Limeade Slushies

Serving Size : 4

1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup raspberries
1 cup water
4 cups ice
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup soda water
Lime wedges -- for serving
4 chilled glasses -- if you’re feeling fancy (or are interested in your slushie staying slushy longer)

In a blender, blend the lime juice, raspberries, water, ice and sugar until slushy. Pour into glasses. Top off with about 1/4 cup soda water and garnish with a lime wedge. 

Source: "smitten kitchen"
I'm thinking it might make a very interesting adult punch with sparkling white wine, Proseco or even Champagne!  Dangerously smooth! 

Thanx smitten kitchen for the temptation!  It is delish!

1 comment:

SallyBR said...

I see this smoothie is getting great reviews everywhere...

you are correct, this could be "dangerously smooth", depending on the alcohol added! :-)