Friday, May 28, 2010

Long Fusilli with Roasted Tomatoes

As some of you know, I'm a big fan of big, bold flavors and recipes with a long list of ingredients to accomplish that boldness!  But, honestly, I am also a practitioner of simple flavorful cuisine. Today's dinner was a perfect example of that method. 

I started out by receiving a request for Pasta for dinner from Nana.  So I headed to the kitchen to see what pasta would inspire me.  I found plenty of choices in the pantry: Farfalle, Penne, Spaghetti, Orzo, Faro Linguine and Long Fusilli.  We bought the fusilli in Philly's Italian Market at Claudio Specialty Food.  From the kitchen I headed to one of the many cookbook shelves and selected all three of my Lidia Basitanich tomes. Quickly scanned the indices for Fusilli and came up with: LONG FUSILLI WITH ROASTED TOMATOES in Lidia's Italy.  I posted the recipe on facebook here
It was delicious and fairly simple.  Only a few tweaks (I know you're not surprised) I used more basil than called for, adding some chopped to the olive oil that is infused with garlic slices and I also heated the oil to just below the bubbling point before tossing it with the pasta!  Also, used Sapore Sweet Cocktail Tomatoes as the plum tomatoes weren't that good at the store today! The Sapore are packaged on the vine and smaller than the Campari but bigger than grape or cherry tomatoes. Cooked them just a little bit less time wise and didn't slice up the halves, tossed the whole halves onto the pasta!  Next time I'll add shavings of cheese to the finished dish rather than grated, I love a bite of cheese with my pasta! 

This is a light appearing dish, but we both felt is was just right for a summery supper!  Enjoy! Here's the pics: before, during and after!



No comments: