Wednesday, July 07, 2010

A Confluence of Summer Salads

I've been saying for years that most people find it hard to eat in the summer heat and tend to loose weight, but I'm the opposite.  Since everything is so fresh, and usually has less fat involved I tend to eat more!  So as I approached the kitchen tonite to make something with Shrimp from the freezer I knew I'd like to make a plated salad with avocado and an heirloom tomato I'd just purchased while out today.  Other than that I had no plan. 

I created a rub for the shrimp with a plan to marinate for awhile and then grill in the grill pan.  So instead of following a recipe I found calling for lots of dried herbs I subbed lots of fresh herbs that I had on hand.  I combined Cilantro, Oregano, Chives, Lime Zest with Garlic Powder, Ancho Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika,  Ground White Pepper and Kosher Salt.  Tossed the defrosted and dried peeled and deveined shrimp with the rub and drizzled with olive oil.

Next I combined shredded carrot, julienned jicama, celery, red pepper, and cucumber and chopped cilantro.  Salted with kosher salt and dressed with rice wine vinegar combined with small amount of sugar and a dash of olive oil spiced with chili pepper.

Digging through the fridge I found some frozen Edamame and decided to combine them with the extra Farfalle pasta I cooked and cooled with only a drizzle of olive oil.  So chopped red onion, red pepper and celery combined with the pasta and edamame needed a dressing.  Aha, let's make a Miso dressing!  A quick Internet search turned up this one on Recipezaar!  It was perfect adding a healthy helping of chopped cilantro, see the theme?

Sliced up the heirloom tomato and avocado tossed them with lime juice, lime zest, cilantro and kosher salt.  Grilled the shrimp and plated all over a bed of torn romaine!  A very filling meal!

No comments: